What’s special about Shilpa Shetty Yoga for weight loss? This Bollywood beauty made news when she announced that she had to lose over 80 post-pregnancy pounds! Even though she had a personal trainer and committed herself to a strict exercise regimen and diet plan, magic formula for her weight loss were yoga exercises. Not only did she lose the post-pregnancy pounds, but she became fit from within as well. According to Shetty, yoga has the power to heal the mind, body and soul. Despite having lost all the excess weight, Shilpa continues to practice yoga on a daily basis and follows a strict diet plan.
Starting the Shilpa Shetty yoga for weight loss routine:
To achieve a healthy weight loss, a diet must be accompanied by exercise. Yoga is an excellent, low-impact form of exercise that increases flexibility, circulation and vitality. To start yoga, wake up early in the morning before sunrise. After completing your morning constitutionals, have some aloe vera or amla juice and get started.
First sitting with your legs crossed and arms stretched out over your knees, close your eyes and start inhaling and exhaling slowly. While exhaling, you are breathing out from your stomach and pushing the air out. You should actually feel your belly move. This is pranayama. This breathing exercise is helpful in lowering blood pressure, increasing your lung capacity and bringing a sense of calm. After doing pranayama for ten minutes, proceed to the following asanas:
This asana is best for people who want to achieve a flat stomach. It is called the bow pose and it gives your body a maximum stretch. It aids in relieving backaches, asthma, piles and diabetes.
- Lay down on your stomach.
- Bend your knees and hold on to your ankles.
- Take a deep breath and raise your head and legs off the ground. Do this as high as you can.
- Maintain this pose for some and slowly return to the ground while exhaling.
- Repeat this asana 3 to 5 times.
Called the cobra pose, it is one of the most important asanas in Shilpa Shetty yoga for weight loss. It benefits the entire body and is especially good for relieving backaches, poor digestion, thyroid problems and stress. It prevents many gynaecological disorders in women.
- Lay down flat on your stomach.
- Place your hands with the palms facing down, beside your shoulder level.
- As you inhale, raise your head towards and push up with your palms.
- Raise yourself until your arms are straight and you’re able to see the ceiling.
- Hold this pose and inhale/exhale.
- Bring your body down slowly.
- Repeat for 3 to 5 times.
The arm-leg pose helps in relieving constipation and obesity. It also helps to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol and relieves cardiac problems:
- Stand straight with a gap between your legs.
- As you inhale, stretch out your hand upwards and above your shoulders.
- As you come forward, exhale.
- Try to clasp onto your ankle and have your nose touch your knees.
- Maintain this pose for a few seconds and then come up slowly inhaling.
- Repeat these steps 3 to 5 times.
Called the plough pose, this asana has many health benefits apart from weight loss. It relieves thyroid issues, helps in case of piles, constipation, dyspepsia and diabetes.
- Lie down flat on your back with your arms by your side.
- Slowly lift both legs to 90 degrees.
- Lift up your butts from the mat and slowly swing your legs towards your head.
- Slowly bring your legs towards the floor.
- Keep your arms flat on the floor or behind your back for support.
- Hold this position for as long as it is comfortable and then slowly return your legs to the mat.
Diet Plan for Shilpa Shetty Weight Loss:
- Breakfast: start your day with 20 ml of Aloe Vera juice or Amla juice. After an hour, have a cup of tea sweetened with brown sugar alongside a bowl of porridge.
- Lunch: Have a bowl of brown rice or chapatti with a cup of chicken curry and fresh vegetables.
- Evening: Eat one slice of brown bread with a cooked egg white and a cup of green tea.
- Dinner: This must be consumed by 8 pm: Have a salad, soup and some baked chicken.
- Post-Workout: After a workout, drink a protein shake with 8 black raisins and 2 dates.
- Drink ten glasses of water every day to keep yourself hydrated.
- Snack on some processed foods such as almond milk, raw nut butter and flax meal.
By following the Shilpa Shetty yoga for the weight loss diet plan and asanas, you can achieve a fit mind, body and soul.
Complete Shilpa Shetty Yoga video for other health benefits to your body.