Heat stress or body heat is a common health issue which occurs when the body fails to keep its temperature within the normal range. This is caused when the body is exposed to high temperature. Typically, sweating cools off the body heat, but sometimes it is insufficient causing the temperature to rise. Body heat often causes dehydration along with a headache, muscle cramps, nausea, rapid heartbeat, excessive sweating, dizziness, lethargy and also a weakness.
Reasons for body heat
- Exposure or contact to excessive sunlight.
- Heavy physical exercise or workout.
- Medical weaknesses like muscular disabilities, seizures, thyroid and also neurological disorders.
- Artificial tight clothing causes body heat as it traps the water which increases the body temperature.
- Various addictive drugs like amphetamines and cocaine also produce body heat.
- Systematic sclerosis, psoriasis, eczema and cystic fibrosis affects the normal system of sweating, and it increases the body heat.
Process for removing body heat
- Need to follow a vegetarian and a low sodium diet regime.
- Food should be cooked in coconut or olive herbal oil.
- Need to reduce the usage of red meat.
- Consumption of nuts should be reduced as it increases the body temperature rapidly.
- Need to avoid junk and spicy food.
- Need to reduce the intake of caffeine and alcohol as well.
Useful home remedies to reduce body heat
Cool water helps in reducing body heat; it helps the body to recover from the high temperature quickly. Dehydration can be prevented by sipping cool water every 15 minutes or by immersing feet in an ice-filled tub for about 20 minutes. A cool bath can also reduce body heat.
Coconut water is also extremely effective for body heat exhaustion treatment. It helps in rehydration and also increases energy as it is composed of nutrients.
Lemon water or juice prevents the body from any heat-related disease, and its vitamin C helps keep the body cool. During the summer days, it keeps the body energized and refreshed.
Sandalwood can reduce the body temperature effectively with its cooling and soothing properties. A mixture paste of sandalwood with water or cold milk along with drops of rose water can be applied to the forehead and chest for better results. On the other hand, sandalwood oil can also be applied to hair and sandalwood powder on chest and armpits to maintain the average body temperature.
Fresh peppermint leaves need to be boiled in water for about 20 minutes, and after that, the leaves need to be strained out to cool off the water. Later, one can soak in the peppermint-infused water in the bathtub. One can also take a peppermint bath by adding by adding peppermint oil. Peppermint tea can also be enjoyed by taking one teaspoon of dried or fresh peppermint leaves in hot water with little drops of raw honey. The tea needs to be refrigerated before having it. The teas will prevent a headache and nausea and will also reduce body heat.
Due to its high content of water, watermelon acts quickly in the reduction of body heat. Eating watermelon in the summer season keeps the body hydrated as it helps in removing the harmful toxins. Watermelon can be eaten raw, or it can be combined with cold milk for a refreshing drink. It can also be used for a healthy salad.
Aloe Vera is another home remedy which helps in the reduction of body heat. For instance, a cold bath needs to be taken after applying Aloe Vera gel all over body for 20 minutes. Aloe Vera juice can also be prepared at home with two tablespoons of Aloe Vera gel.
Indian Gooseberry or Amla contains vitamin C which reduces body heat. Having amla juice twice a day during the summer season will help to prevent from heat exhaustion. Amla juice can also be made tastier by adding one teaspoon of raw honey and lemon juice to 2 teaspoons of amla juice in a glass of water. It needs to be taken early in the morning on an empty stomach.
Buttermilk is an Ayurvedic home remedy which can reduce body heat. It is useful for men who suffer from high metabolism and women from hot flashes. Having buttermilk along with breakfast in the summer helps the body to stay cool. Buttermilk can also be enjoyed by blending yogurt with water and a pinch of salt.
Poppy seeds or opium reduce the body heat by regulating the body temperature, and it provides a cooling effect. One teaspoon of poppy seeds with a little sugar should be taken daily during the summer season as it helps to get rid of all the extra body heat. A few poppy seeds can also be taken before going off to sleep. However, it is not suitable for children.
- Excess clothes should not be avoided as it prevents sweating.
- Should have pomegranate juice mixed with almond oil daily.
- Should try to avoid excessive heat and humidity as much as possible.
- Loose fitting and light clothes help to stay cool.
- Needs to sleep in a cool and ventilated area.
- Alcoholic and caffeine beverages should be avoided.
- Need to drink water daily to supply fluids with the help of sweating.
- Should not sit inside a parked car in the sun.
- Regular exercise or workout helps in excessive sweating.
Although body heat is not a disease, it should be taken seriously. If body heat is not given proper treatment, then it may cause heatstroke at any moment. People of all ages may suffer from excessive heat stress, but it is more dangerous for babies, infants, pregnant women and any people over 65 years old. Thus, if all the home remedies and tips mentioned above are followed properly, then there is an extremely low chance of suffering from body heat.