Paleo Diet is one of the healthiest ways to achieve a lean body. People from different medical fields have hailed Paleo Diet as one of the most effective means to treat uprising and deteriorating diseases. Diseases such as obesity, heart disease, cancer, infertility can be treated. Paleo diet is a testimony to our ancestors and to their agility, fitness, versatility, and strength.
Paleo diet is an effort to recreate the same eating habits that were followed by our ancestors many many years ago. Despite not having the comforts or luxuries of life, they led a very healthy lifestyle and probably had longer lifespans than most of us today. The secret to that was eating whatever that was available such as fruits, vegetable, leafy greens and hunting animals for meat. Perhaps the only threat or danger to life was in the form of natural disasters or wild animals. But now of course threat can be in the form of obesity, heart diseases, cancer, stress and the list goes on. You get what I am trying to say.
Tips on how to incorporate paleo diet
Here are some tips on how to incorporate Paleo diet. The foods that are good and the foods that are better to be avoided, unless you can’t live without it then perhaps this is not a diet for you.
- Fruits and Vegetables– these are probably that most commonly mentioned food items that you will come across when it comes to healthy eating habits. And why not, these are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals etc. The other great thing about fruits and vegetables is that no matter how much you eat them you don’t put on weight. Fruits and vegetables also help fight against diseases that are very insidious to our health.
- Animal protein– it is better to eat the meat of animals that are grass fed and pasture raised rather than grain fed. Because grain has the same effect on animals that it has on humans.
- Fish and Seafood– not only it is a rich source of protein, but also contains omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. The micronutrients present in fish and seafood are important for brain development, and they are also rich in vitamin A, C, E
- Eggs– again choose eggs that are enriched in omega 3 and free ranged, pastured birds.
- Healthy fats and oils– the pro oils for an ideal paleo diet are extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, walnut oil, macadamia nut oil. These fats contain monounsaturated fats which help control cholesterol. These oils also have a good shelf life and are fairly resistant to oxidation even when they reach their smoking point.
- Nuts and seeds– the easiest and most convenient snack to munch on anytime anywhere. This is ideal for a paleo diet as they are packed with nutrients. It’s best to consume mixed nuts and to consume at periodic intervals, rather than going crazy about them. It is also important to note that people with digestive problems should consult their doctor, as nuts and seeds are difficult to digest.
Some of the foods that do not reflect an ideal paleo diet are:
- Grains– like already mentioned due to its high gluten levels. All grains, pasta, baked goods made from them should be avoided.
- Refined oils, sugar and processed food– anything with artificial sweeteners are positively a no irrespective of diet and refined oils and sugars or any product that has been through numerous stages of filtration.
- Excessive salty snacks– it pretty much explains itself as to why it should not be consumed.
- Dairy– this is something that people advocate for and some advice against it in a paleo diet. Dairy products in itself are not bad for your health considering the nutritional values of it, and one cannot deny the fact that it tastes awesome. On the other hand, some of the dairy products are high in lactose, some could be allergic. To reiterate, if you like it then stick to it. If you are dairy tolerant, compensate it with fish, leafy green vegetables and other good sources of fat.